Tuesday, December 30, 2008

2008: Year in Review

This little diddy was stolen from another blog friend of mine. Since I'm suffering from a mad case of pregnancy brain these days, it's probably a good idea to remember & write down all the things I accomplished.

1. What did you do in 2008 that you’d never done before? There's quite a lot of stuff I accomplished this year that falls under the "never done that before" category, but I would honestly have to say that my trip to Tanzania really takes the cake. It was such an amazing experience and I really, really want to go back someday.

2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Since I started the 101 in 1001, I decided not to compound the problem with any New Years' resolutions. I feel like I've made quite a lot of progress already on my list and am looking forward to attempting to finish as much as I can next year.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Alex & Shannon gave birth to a beautiful little girl, Natalie, in July & one of my dearest friends Nathalie had a rockin' son, Sebastian, in September.

4. Did anyone close to you die? No, thank gawd.

5. What countries did you visit? I was in Tanzania for 3 weeks & had a layover in The Netherlands. Otherwise, I kept it all stateside.

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008? Overall 2008 was a pretty positive experience all around. The only major thing I can think of as being "on the radar" for 2009 is to produce a healthy kiddo.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? 11/2/08 -> It's the day that Miller & I found out we're gonna be parents.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I don't know if there's a single accomplishment that stands out for me. I do know that I had a great year at work. Working from home can be difficult when you're trying to remain "visible" with management and I feel like I did a good job of keeping my name in the mix.

9. What was your biggest failure? I did a shitty job of keeping in touch with some of my girlfriends. Hopefully I can improve that in the coming year....

10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Aside from the usual allergy/sinus infection that I get every January/February, it was a pretty healthy year for me.

11. What was the best thing you bought? I did buy a kick-ass trench coat at the beginning of the fall season. (Thanks, Tim Gunn!!)

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My mom & dad. They've been awesome this year. I spent quite a lot of time in Houston for work and it was utterly faboo being able to go home, eat home cooked meals, and get my laundry done. It sounds dumb, but it's nice to know that even at 28 years old, they're still willing to baby me like I'm 12.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Probably a little bit of everyone. As great as 2008 has been, there have definitely been a lot of negatives too.

14. Where did most of your money go? Bills, bills, bills. Man, I hate growing up.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? The Africa trip was freaking awesome, but finding out you're having a baby is exciting too (you know, after the shock wears off).

16. What song will always remind you of 2008? Probably the new stuff from Britney Spears. I'm so glad she's getting her shit together again.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder?
It's a mix. I've got a lot to be happy about in the coming months, but I'm probably more stressed. ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter. But I have a GOOD reason!! iii. richer or poorer? Poorer. Enough said.

18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Travel. You can never do enough travelling.

19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Stressing about money. I feel like I've aged so much this year.

20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent Christmas in Houston with the family. Miller's parents came down too so it was a full house.

21. How will you be ringing in the New Year? Miller has a friend in town from Florida and we'll be going to a party at a friend's house.

22. Did you fall in love in 2008? Not with anyone new. But I love my husband more and more each day.

23. Who was your hero? Tina Fey made the year hilarious.

24. What was your favorite TV program? I'm such a die-hard CSI fan.

25. What was something you needed to do and didn’t get around to? I have a really long list of house projects that is still untouched.

26. What was the best book you read? Most definitely The Kite Runner.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery? I became a huge M.I.A. fan, as did a gillion other people this year.

28. What did you want and get? To fly first class!. How sad is it that this was one of the highlights of my year....

29. What did you want and not get? To go to London. My company has been teasing me with an opportunity to work in London for a couple weeks and my trip has been cancelled twice now. I'm SO DESPERATE to go to the UK!!!

30. What was your favorite film of this year? I don't know if I could pinpoint a favorite. 2008 was definitely the year of the action flick though.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 28 this year and actually had a pretty cool birthday. Shoot....I even got to ride a roller coaster!!

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? More money.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008? "Buy cheap....you work from home." I most definitely did not spoil my closet this year.

34. What kept you sane? Riley. Having a dog rocks.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Jake Gyllenhaal is the father of my child. Shh...don't tell Miller.

36. What political issue stirred you the most? Gay/Lesbian rights is always a big one for me. With all the press that Prop 8 got in California, I was so sad to see that it passed.

37. Who did you miss? Miller. With all the travelling I did this year, we spent too much time apart.

38. Who was the best new person you met? We still haven't met in person yet, but Ash & I have become pretty good online friends. :]

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008: Money doesn't buy happiness....but it sure as shit makes life a lot easier.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year: Ugh. FAIL.

Today: 14w1d

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great idea, I am going to make my kids to do one of this every year from now on for their journal, and if they gripe about doing it, I will just tell them it's their aunt TJ's idea :-)

Bryn said...

You're expecting??? Why didn't i know that?? Congrats!

ashley said...

aw you picked me as your best new person =)