Tuesday, May 13, 2008

62. Go to the dentist every 6 months

So I made my dentist appointment yesterday and headed into the office this morning. I was pretty embarrassed to tell the hygienist that I hadn't been to the dentist in over 5 years -- I honestly think my last appointment was in 2002. I did explain the situation to her: my last appointment ended in disaster (the Novocaine wore off a little early) and have been pretty fearful of the dentist ever since. She promised to go be gentle with me.

Minus the ridiculous amounts of tartar that had built up on my teeth in the last 5+ years, she was pleased with how my teeth/gums looked. I only have a minor cavity that is actually due to a previous cavity filling coming loose so it appears as though my trip was a success. It also looks like I'll be seeing the dentist again in another month to get my cavity filled so I'll be ahead of the curve on fulfilling this goal.

BTW: For you Austin folks needing a dentist, Dr. Meek is fantastic.

2 comments:

Juicy said...

my husband hadn't been to the dentist in probably 10 years and he had to have a root canal, so you're doing good by just having a cavity and tartar! I'm trying to make going to the dentist a regular thing too, I don't think anyone really enjoys going to the dentist. It's just not my idea of a fun time!

Anonymous said...

You are not alone. I will not admit to how long it has been for me, but longer than you. I am terrified of the dentist. Good for you for confronting your fears and going. It is also on my 101 list and I have not work up the courage yet.