Wednesday, January 21, 2009

54. Learn to drive a stick shift

Having this goal on my list was slightly cheating. My dad taught me "how" to drive a stick shift when I was 16, but since no one in my family or none of my friends (that would actually let me drive their car) has ever owned a stick I've never practiced enough to feel comfortable driving one.

I went on a cruise with my parents to Mexico once and we did a Jeep tour. Since the Jeep was a stick (& the car wasn't ours), I did the driving. I honestly don't remember how many times I stalled out, but I do remember peeling out (in the mud) and completely dousing the people in the Jeep behind us. They were not too pleased.

Well, last month my Mom decided that it was time to get a new car. Since she loves tiny cars, there was nothing more perfect for her than the Mini Cooper. Seriously, these cars are adorable.

My Dad knows how much I've been desperate to get comfortable driving a stick so after puttering around the neighborhood a couple times, he forced let me drive the Mini to work a couple days. I've done great & feel a lot more comfortable behind the wheel of a stick...I've even started practicing downshifting! Driving in Houston traffic is honestly the best learning scenario available. I've only stalled out once, but for the record I was in the drive thru line at McDonald's, so I don't think it counts.

On another fun Mini note, my co-worker's husband also drives a Mini. She brought his to work one day and we "introduced" them in the parking lot and they spent a glorious day together.

Today: 17w2d

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dang - that yellow MINI looks SWEET!

Are you having fun yet?

Jason M said...

Even though i'd probably look silly driving such a small car, i *really* want one of the electric Minis that are coming. :P

Houston *is* probably better than Austin. I got used to a stick here, and it was a bit more, lets say, interesting, with the hills.

Karen said...

Cute Mini pics - btw the main factory is in Oxford! You can come visit us and take a tour. :)

Juicy said...

I'd love a Mini Cooper but they're truly very "mini" and probably wouldn't fit a couple of babies. :)

Congrats on getting to complete this goal. I tried to drive a stick shift one time and absolutely KILLED the car on an incline and then freaked out when I started rolling backwards into the car behind me. That was it for stick shift for Joyce!